Monday, August 11, 2014

Our New School Room & A Freebie!

Welcome to week 2 of iHomeschool Network's Not Back to School Blog Hop. It's School Room Week. 
nbts-blog-hop-calendar-2014

After three moves in 2 years - yes you read that right - we are finally settling into our 'forever' home out in the country. We have 3 1/2 acres of our own, but we live right next door to a 100 acre farm. As I type, I'm watching the pretty little soybean plants billowing in the breeze along the hill out my window. After all the insanity we've endured, we are so blessed to call this place home. The best part.... our finished, walk-out basement has a large bedroom that has become our new school room. It even has a nice, big window and a walk-in closet. You bet I was drooling when we walked through this house!

So let's start the tour.


The view as you walk in.

My 6th Grader on the left; My 3rd Grader on the right.
My 8th Grader chose to work upstairs in her room to help her concentrate.  
Each of my children have their own computers. They are completely antiquated boat anchors, but still run most software and websites. But, at $20 a pop, they were a steal and we won't complain. Unfortunately, this year has some challenges as we have limited internet data usage out here in the sticks. That means any streaming is out of the question :(  So now we've become the phycho people at the library watching videos and downloading like mad instead of just casually perusing all the books. Honestly, it's a little embarassing.
Our center wall with all the great helps as we cover World Geography this year.
Our crates of books for My Father's World Exploring Countries and Cultures
Ok, the rocking chair may be a bit much, but I've had it since I was pregnant with my oldest and  I've rocked all my babies here. So I just CANNOT part with it. Since it didn't have anywhere else  to go in the house, a yellow pillow from Target was my attempt at making it fit, hahaha!  
click here to get this freebie!
The sign on the wall above the chair says "Our Book Explorations" to go along with our geography theme and I've included this a freebie for all of you! I found little book-shaped cut-outs from the dollar store as well. When the kids finish a book throughout the year, we will write it on the 'book' and stick them up on the wall so they can see all they've read. I just find the 'Date/Title/Pages Read'  reading logs a bit tedious. This is my attempt to keep it more visually motivating. 

 Also hanging from the shelves are some tools we use to expand on our reading skills. Story Elements Question Fans from Runde's Room have some great questions about Character, Plot, Setting, etc. And for my 3rd grader, we use Bloom's Buttons from Colleen Alaniz. She also has Bloom's Buttons for non-fiction now as well! I LOVE the look of these! I have my son choose two or three buttons from the jar (without looking) and we choose a question with the corresponding colors. It works kinda like a game, so my little guy is actually excited about answering questions about our reading.

Daily Schedule on the left and we have our white board up - FINALLY!
My desk with my Teacher's Manuals separated by child on the shelf above.
I am so thankful to be out of cardboard boxes and finally in our home. We are loving it out here and enjoyed our first week back to school. I can't wait to make some awesome memories learning together in our fun new room.
 

26 comments :

  1. What a great set up!! Enjoy your year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rikki. I hope you have a fantastic year as well!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful room! Very organized and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get your first day of school banner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually made it from some scrapbooking supplies from JoAnn's Craft Store. The set is called Tweet Dreams, by Heidi Grace. It's been a couple of years so I'm not sure if they still carry it?

      Delete
  4. I like your room. The yellow pillow on the rocking chair looks great. It looks like a great chair to sit on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your room and the maps! I'm honestly going a bit map crazy this year but, can you tell me where did you bought your geography terms poster. I want one...my kids probably don't, but I do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Search assignment help online services and finish your homework within your set due dates. Law is a vast subject and holds a great significance in law student life. If you are stuck in writing your law assignment , at this point you can opt for our law assignment help. We have best law assignment writers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello I’m grateful to have read your content thank you. What a nice blog! I have enjoyed reading through the article although I landed on this site. If you are having issues in getting your thesis writing task completed accurately then do not hesitate and get your papers checked by the online thesis editing service experts at MyAssignmentHelpAu.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like other software, QuickBooks sometimes may also have some face technical glitches or errors which would not allow QuickBooks to complete the task. There are many errors which QuickBooks encounter. QuickBooks abort error is one of such errors. If you still show QuickBooks abort error code. Occurrence of QuickBooks abort error results in difficulty in accessing the company files. QuickBooks abort error code occurs with an error stating “ The connection to the company files have been lost”. The changes which have been made need to be re-entered. It may result in closing down of QuickBooks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although Quickbooks is a robust software, there are situations which can result in occurrence of several errors. How to fix QuickBooks Error Code 1311? is one such error. Quickbooks error 1311 appears while updating Quickbooks or when you export a report from some financial statement designer to Excel. For more help to resolve Quickbooks Error 1311, reach out to Quickbooks enterprise support at +1-888-485-0289.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many people are depressed about the problems of assignment writing. Well, don’t worry about that because we are providing this service at a very reasonable price. expository essay examples online - grammar checker - engineering assignment writing help

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's really very detailed article on this topic. I'm sure that you spent a lot of time at its writing. This is a very worthwhile advice, thank you for that. I recently read a very good article of a professional writer on this subject. For more info you may check it by yourself here. Good luck! Online Essay Help

    ReplyDelete
  12. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read something such as this before. So nice to find somebody with authentic applying for grants this subject. 바카라사이트

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I am quite sure I’ll learn a lot of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next! 바카라사이트

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you struggling to fix Quickbooks error 15212? Quickbooks error 15212 is encountered when you download payroll updates. It may also occur while downloading the updates for Quickbooks. Occurence of Quickbooks Payroll Error Code 15212 is symbolized by the error message: “The Quickbooks update did not complete successfully”or “Payroll update is not successful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for another informative website. Can I get that kind of information written in such a fine manner anywhere else? I have a profile on generate fake twitter chat. The Tweets template has been designed based on the modern look of Twitter Tweets. With our Twitter chat generator, you can create hilarious and funny tweets for your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The best way to get the assignment done is to seek the help of professional Java Assignment Help experts. We have emerged as the student friendly assignment experts , we have 24/7 Online assignment support at Get Assignment Help Online.
    So do not hesitate to ask anything.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It’s my pleasure to read this blog post. This is amazing and very informative. I appreciate your efforts to write this and I am thankful to you for adding some value to my knowledge.
    I am excited to share this with my friends because they will also get something from it surely and will be thankful for yours. Keep sharing your thoughts.
    I am Stella Jones from AU and I am a part of a Joint Sealing service provider team. We are the best joint sealing solution company in the AU.
    Feel free to contact us and get a permanent solution for joint sealing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A new school with new furniture's and new books. It look so good. Every students are really happy. Thanks for sharing this article. Now it's time to avail 1 litre water bottle for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great information is shared in this article. This article gives me the confidence and the courage. It looks like you have spent a lots of time in this article. Now its time to avail chauffeur service houston for more information.

    ReplyDelete